Group Head office: Bupa House, 15-19 Bloomsbury Way, London WC1A 2BA A YEAR IN THE NEWS January...
Group Head office: Bupa House, 15-19 Bloomsbury Way, London WC1A 2BA
A YEAR IN THE NEWS
January - March 2007
- January: Irish government announces plans to examine whether regulation of its health insurance sector is feasible, following Bupa Ireland's decision to pull out.
- January: Quinn Direct announces plans to buy Bupa's Irish operation, saving 300 jobs at the insurer's Cork office.
- March: Announces that revenues increased 9% in 2006 - up to £4.25bn, including organic growth of 7%.
- March: Begins its latest advertising TV campaign. The multi-million pound adverts aim to bring to life the ways Bupa makes individuals, with their own unique needs and wants, feel better.
April - June 2007
- May: Appoints Chris Pollard as chief underwriter of Bupa Individual Protection.
- June: Bupa Individual Protection's range of critical illness products is awarded five stars by Defaqto. The award applies to its new critical illness plans and cover stand alone, level and decreasing term assurance products.
- April: Is appointed to provide private healthcare to around 1500 Whitbread team members. The deal includes employees from Premier Travel Inn, Brewers Fayre, Beefeater and Costa Coffee.
July - September 2007
- July: Announces that higher expectations of healthcare in the UK are leading to the acceptance of private medical insurance - especially within the 18-24 age market. It follows its Health of the Nation report, which claims that the proportion of people who do not believe in private healthcare has fallen 7% since 2000 to 26% among young people.
- August: Is appointed to provide private healthcare to around 13,000 employees of Virgin Media for the next three years.
UK GWP: £1.842bn
UK pre-tax profit: £79.4m
Regional offices: 6
Worldwide offices: 1
Key personnel: Val Gooding, chief executive; Lord Leitch, chairman; Ray King, group finance director; Fergus Kee, managing director Bupa Membership
Major shareholders: N/a
Main business lines: private medial insurance
Recent sales/acquisitions: N/a
UK Reserves: £495.9m
Agency base: N/a
Name of direct arm: N/a
Year established: 1947
- Roundtable: Is a single customer view taking off in insurance?
- O’Connor replaces Fairchild at the helm of Broker Network
- Home insurance insurtech Buzzvault launches
- Stackhouse Poland makes fourth acquisition of the year
- Aviva promises to 'reinvent' insurance and end dual pricing
- Ed unveils CEO Hearn’s replacement and plots Bermuda office
- CBL Corporation expected to be placed in liquidation, sees further delays to watershed meeting