Ahead of the Claims Conference Asia on 20 March in Hong Kong Post interview James Curbeam, director of global claims and administration, Las Vegas Sands.
Post: What is the role of your position at Las Vegas Sands?
Curbeam: I am director of global claims administration, responsible for both domestic and international claims. We have hotel and casino operations in Las Vegas, Pennsylvania, Singapore and Macau. I carry out general risk management duties including the implementation of a risk management information system. I am also responsible for some insurance policy renewals.
What type of claims do you receive in the US and in Asia?
In the US we receive workers' compensation, general liability, auto liability and property claims. In Asia we receive employee's compensation, work injury compensation, general liability, auto liability and property claims.
What are the main issues in terms of claims management that you face in Asia?
With regard to workers' injury compensation and employee compensation claims, the main claims issue is lost time from work. With regard to liability claims, the main issue is the lack of an immediate investigation.
How does managing claims in Asia differ compared to managing claims in the US?
The main difference in handling claims is cultural differences. The US is more litigious than Asia. I will expand on this at the conference.
Meet James Curbeam at the Claims Conference Asia 2014 on 20 March in Hong Kong - James Curbeam will be presenting the closing keynote address at 16.25, on "Claims Handling - a Western Perspective".
Happy International #womeninscience day!— innovationXchange (@dfat_iXc) February 10, 2019
As one of the first women in Fiji to hold a professional drone pilot's license, Amrita from @WeRobotics is leading the way.
She’s ready to deploy drones when disasters strike Fiji.https://t.co/uUAQlBU5Qi pic.twitter.com/lgd7qcNIQ0
- Post launches new Reputation event focused on creating an ethical and inclusive insurance market
- Aviva transfers 1.39m policies to post-Brexit Irish business
- Court ruling swerves ‘new category of professional negligence claims’
- Gareth Howell steps down as managing director of Axa retail
- ‘Desperate people do desperate things’: Allianz issues fraud warning over Brexit
- Zurich's Hayley Robinson on relationship building in the age of digitalisation
- Allianz sets date for completion of LV business transfer