The All Party Parliamentary Group on Insurance & Financial Services is now up and running for the new Parliament with Conservative MP Heather Wheeler as its new chairman.
She succeeds Jonathan Evans who stood down at the recent General Election. She was elected as MP for Derbyshire South in 2010 and served as one of the joint hon secretaries of the group since in the last Parliament. Wheeler spent a decade working as a Lloyd’s broker between 1977 and 1987 and is also an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute.
Supporting her as deputy chairmen of the group will be Lord Hunt of Wirral and the newly elected Labour MP for Sheffield Heeley, Louise Haigh (pictured below), who previously worked as a public policy manager for Aviva. Sir Edward Leigh continues as the hon secretary for the group.
There have been several changes to the membership of the group.
In addition to Jonathan Evans, deputy chairman and Labour MP Andy Love stood down at the election, as did James Clappison and founder memeber of the group Liberal Democrat MP Sir Alan Beith.
Five members of the group in the last Parliament were appointed ministers:
- Harriett Baldwin - Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Tracey Crouch - Minister for Sport and the Olympics
- James Duddridge - Under-secretary of State at the Foreign Office
- Andrea Leadsom - Minister of State at the Department of Energy
- Andrew Selous - Minister for Prisons, Probabtion and Rehabilitation
As ministers they will no longer be members of the group.
So far, three newly elected MPs have joined the group
- Louise Haigh - Lab, Sheffield Heeley
- Ranil Jayawardina - Con, North East Hampshire
- Craig Tracey - Con, North Warwickshire and Bedworth
The full membership of the group can be found here or downloaded as a pdf Full list of officers and members June 2015.
PricewaterhouseCoopers continue as technical advisers to the group.
The group is currently planning its programme and anyone interested in presenting to it should contact Jonathan Swift.
- Gibraltar legal expenses insurer declares insolvency
- Analysis: Are AI solutions being used to mitigate risks?
- Former Ageas claims director Rob Smale joins salvage company
- Medco issues warning over government consultation
- Stackhouse Poland MGAs to be absorbed by Pen Underwriting
- Aston Lark deal gives broker firepower for larger acquisitions
- Diversity & Inclusion success in Insurance to be celebrated at inaugural Post awards