8. Direct Line Direct Line House 3 Edridge Road Croydon CR9 1AG Tel: 020 8686 3313 www.directli...
8. Direct Line
Direct Line House
3 Edridge Road
Croydon CR9 1AG
Tel: 020 8686 3313
A YEAR IN THE NEWS
- Confirms that the deputy chairman of its insurance group and founder of Churchill Insurance, Martin Long, is officially leaving the company. A Royal Bank of Scotland spokeswoman commends Mr Long for his role in bringing Direct Line and Churchill together.
- Marks its 20th birthday by holding a regional office party for its employees, and delivers '1980s themed' gifts to staff on each morning during the course of Direct Line's birthday week. Also holds a champagne and cake reception for all staff on Direct Line's official birthday.
- Faces potential legal battle after concerns are raised following the launch of Esure's computer mouse advertising icon. Comparisons are raised between Esure's computer mouse and Direct Line's mouse on wheels in its recent advertisement. The creators of Esure's new icon, Mister Mouse, also worked with Direct Line founder Peter Wood to create the Direct Line red phone in the 1980s.
- Direct Line managing director Graham Ross quits to be replaced by Chris Moat, previously managing director of Royal-Bank-of-Scotland-owned UK Insurance Partnerships.
- Appoints More Than's marketing director, Mike Tildesley, to same role at Direct Line.
DIRECT LINE: FACTS AND FIGURES 2004
UK gross written premium, excluding treaty (revenue): £1.7bn
UK pre-tax profit: n/a
Number of regional offices (UK): six
Worldwide offices: three
Key personnel: Chris Moat, managing director, Direct Line; Andy Cornish, managing director International
Main business lines: personal lines
Total number of employees: n/a
Recent sales/acquisitions: n/a
Major shareholder: Royal Bank of Scotland Group
UK reserves: £621m
Agency base: n/a
Direct arm: Direct Line
Year established: 1985
Information: Direct Line.
- Gallagher Bassett acquires claims management firm
- Finch and ICB owner on acquisition trail with sight set on €500m revenue by 2022
- Top 100 Insurtech: Quarter four update
- Green light for UK-US insurance trade deal
- Roundtable: Is a single customer view taking off in insurance?
- Analysis: The mystery of the missing Insurance Fraud Taskforce report
- Blog: You really need to listen before walking the walk