The reinsurer’s P&C combined operating ratio deteriorated from 93.3% in Q1 2016 to 95.6% in Q1 2017; after tax P&C profits fell from $587m to $321m. Swiss Re was hit hard in Australia and New Zealand by powerful storm Cyclone Debbie; several of the large Australian insurers had already used the majority of their annual natcat allowances meaning they could utilise reinsurance contracts for large events. Swiss Re’s group CEO Christian Mumenthaler, commented: “I am satisfied with our performance
- ABI previously warned government over hazards of flammable cladding
- Towergate group company to launch under new brand name
- Data analytics will impact property underwriting but could lead to 'uninsurable' properties
- Insurers issue warning as government to test cladding on 600 buildings
- Marsh Networks’ David Hopwood on the seven issues a reduced discount rate creates for SME brokers
- Full report: Motor Report: What's driving motor?
- Government resurrects whiplash reform